Monday, November 06, 2006

Product reviews and good news

I'll start with my good news. I visited my family over the weekend and broke the vegan news to them for the first time. I was very nervous about their reaction--veganism is so alien to them. But, to my surprise, they were actually quite receptive to the news. They didn't act as though they wanted to jump on the bandwagon anytime soon, but they did ask me questions about it in a non-threatening way and I got to share something with them that I really believe in--something I don't often feel able to do around them. They know that my baking is good because I recently sent them some of my sister's birthday cake that I made, as well as some of my gingerbread cookies. Maybe that helped. Anyway, I'm excited that it went so well.

I was going to cook dinner tonight, but instead Bob wanted to go to a red beans and rice social at Common Ground Athens. They are a progressive movement that is affiliated with Food Not Bombs as well as Speak Out for Species here in Athens. It was really neat to meet other vegans and social activists in the community, see what they're doing, and find things that I can maybe get involved in. I have been looking for ways to impact the community in areas that I am passionate about, and I plan to look into these programs.

Anyway, since I haven't cooked today, I thought I would share a couple of products I tried recently. This is Vitasoy Holly Nog, which I found on sale at Whole Foods. It's the only soy nog I've seen so far this year, and Bob and I decided to give it a try.



The taste is very nice, sweet and spicy like I hoped it would be. I find it to be a little on the thin side, but that doesn't bother me that much. I have heard Silk Nog is good and I plan to try that as soon as it pops up on the shelves, but this is tasty and well worth the $1.50 it cost.

This stuff... amazing. It's Peanut Butter & Co.'s Dark Chocolate Dreams peanut butter spread. Bob and I loved Nutella before going vegan, and I have been hoping to find a passable substitute for it.



This is more than passable. It has no refined sugar added to it, and it bears the Certified Vegan label--definitely a plus. The taste reminds me very much of Reese's peanut butter cups, which was at one time my favorite junk food. We had this with braeburn apples, and it was a nice treat. There are other peanut butter varieties available from Peanut Butter & Co., and I would like to try them out too.

There you have it. Tomorrow there will be homemade food--probably a soup. We'll see. Enjoy your week, and take care!

8 comments:

funwithyourfood said...

aww congrats on breaking the news to the fam. I'm glad they took it so well!

Teddy

KleoPatra said...

Hey Laura, that peanut butter chocolate spread looks so good. I picked up something similar to that when i was in Canada and it's really really good.

I was enthusiastically reading about your "coming out" to your family. Nice to have the support and also preparing them with the sweet treats in advance was a grand idea! Way to go, girl.

Love the S.O.S. link. Thank you for that!! Hope you have a wonderful week ahead.

:o)

Eat Peace Please said...

I'm so glad to hear that the family meet up went well and even more so you breaking your "news". I am going to try that type of Nog. I've only had Silk and I swear this year they did something different. It's not as good to me. Also, it's thin because it's not egg yolks!

Beata said...

I didn't know they sell Vitasoy stuff here. I'm not really sure where the company is from, but that's like coca-cola in Hong Kong, and I drank it like crazy when I was young. That's awesome. Now I'm just wishing there's a Whole Foods here so I can get some Holly Nog. :)

You always make me hungry...

bazu said...

Congrats on the positive family experience! You are right that the more delicious food you pelt them with, the more receptive they'll be! ;-)

And I've been loving the Vitasoy holly nog- I agree that it's a bit thin, but I love the flavor.

Dr. Melissa West said...

Soy egg nog, who woulda thunk it! I will have to look out for it here in my grocery store. I wonder if they have it in Canada?

Kate said...

Good for you telling your family about being vegan. I know how hard it is to drop the V bomb, especialy if your telling people who you worry about judging you. That is great they were so chill with it and asked you questions. Just keep the baked goods coming and they will be fine with your choices (but seriously it always helps when the food is good.)

Anonymous said...

Check the ingredients on the Soy Beverage labels. Carreegan has been shown to cause stomach cancer in studies. Try and avoid it.