Thursday, September 14, 2006

Catching up

I've missed cooking and blogging and reading all of YOUR wonderful blogs for the past couple of days, but you know, sometimes school just has to come first. Fortunately, that will only be true for this semester and next, and then--well, I guess work will replace school. That's life, I guess.


Anyway, as you may guess, there is not much to blog today. I did want to show off this loaf of bread we baked, following a recipe we use often. This is the best looking loaf of bread we've turned out in a while, and I was really excited when I saw how nicely it rose and shaped while it baked. We LOVE baking bread, and so our progress is a big deal to us! :)

Tuesday night Bob wanted to make some cookies to share with the folks in a Bible study he leads every Tuesday evening. I had to work super late on Tuesday and didn't get to participate in the baking--but he did save me a cookie to sample. He really wanted to try the recipe again from Vegan Vittles that we made several weeks ago and that turned out looking kind of funky. I told him to use whole wheat pastry flour this time and that would probably improve the texture. It made a big difference from using regular whole wheat flour (obviously). I am not crazy about this recipe, but Bob really loves it. Next time we want chocolate chip cookies, I'm going to insist on Dreena's recipe that I've heard so much about! But here are the cookies he made, which did work out better than before.

Last thing I have to share right now. I woke up early yesterday morning so I wanted to try the Creamy Raspberry Oatmeal (p. 22) from Vive Le Vegan! I make oatmeal often, but I have never used the technique that this recipe calls for (simmering with the lid on for about 15 minutes). The result was very tasty--it really did make the oatmeal creamier than the way I usually cook it. I also used the nutmeg and allspice exactly as the recipe directed, although I have to say I was skeptical when I saw that there was no cinnamon! I love cinnamon... Anyway, I was glad I didn't add cinnamon because the flavors were subtle enough to sing back-up very well without overwhelming the raspberry flavor. I drizzled a bit more maple syrup over mine, and Bob preferred to sprinkle on some brown sugar and a little more soy milk. I love oatmeal, but Bob can be really picky about it sometimes. He seemed to really enjoy this, though. This recipe would be very tasty with blackberries too...

I have plans to make another batch of VWaV Chipotle, Corn, and Black Bean Stew later tonight. But Bob and I are going out for some sushi when he is done at work! I'm so excited! I have some ideas for the weekend, but we'll just see. I'll definitely have to spend some time catching up on all of your blogs this evening. See you soon!

11 comments:

MeloMeals said...

Your bread looks great....


as does your oatmeal.. it takes a talent to make oatmeal look good!

Nikk said...

As always the food looks 'marvy'. That's my Brady Bunch word of the day!

That bread looks amazing...I've been having some major carbo cravings lately...

KleoPatra said...

Love your bread! The staff/stuff of life!

And a shout out to Bob's cookies! They are scrumptious looking!! And how cool he is to make them for his Bible study buddies. Why are you not crazy about the recipe? - if you don't mind my query.

School has to come first... i'm glad for you it really does! (and work then after school daze are over...)

And i love cinnamon as well, fyi! The oatmeal and the plate its on... SO nice!

urban vegan said...

Mornings here have been a bit chilly. That creamy raspberry oatmeal would get me out of bed much quicker than the alarm does.

Anonymous said...

I'm not a huge oatmeal fan, unless it's in cookies but yours looks pretty in your tulip bowl. I'm more a bread fan, especially hot and homemade.

How nice to have a hubby that cooks/bakes! And, is nice enough to share with his Bible Study buddies. Go Bob!

Anonymous said...

Your bread looks beautiful!!! I'm so impressed!

DREENA' choc chip cookies are amazing... you will love them - guaranteed! :)

Candi said...

Your bread looks perfect! Mine never quite come out that round and perfect! Lol! I love the color too...yum! Great job! You're a pro now!

I love the oatmeal! I have to try that recipe, since I have the book and it looks so good! I could eat oatmeal everyday! I don't have raspberries, but I will have to experiment with other fruits. :P

Hope the sushi dinner was fun! I bet it wasn't nearly as good as the homemade ones you two whipped up though a few posts back!!!

Anonymous said...

what a beautifull bread ! i wish mine looks so good!

Dreena's choco.chip cookie recipe is awesome try it!

Harmonia said...

Glorious! Yum! WOnderful post! Welcome back after a few days! Have a great weekend!

Kate said...

Oh wow, i can not wait to bake bread (it will be my first time) I have so many recipes and I can not pick one. Baking bread is the only good part of the cold months ahead. Raspberry oatmeal looks amazing, what a concept!

Dr. Melissa West said...

What a perfect loaf of bread. Thanks for the oatmeal recommendation. I don't think I would have ever tried it on my own, but now that I see it cooked.... yum, yum! It looks terrifice.