Tuesday, September 19, 2006

New recipes and headaches

On Sunday evening Bob and I decided to try a new bread recipe--Dori's favorite, in fact. I had never worked with a poolish before, and I must say I was a bit turned off by it when I went to use it--it looked kinda gross. But this recipe was so fun to make, and all kinds of good stuff went into the dough! And it made two beautiful loaves--I have posted my favorite here. The taste is wonderful and hearty, and I love the hardness of the crust with the tender inside. If you like homemade bread, give this one a try!

Tonight we had a guest over for dinner, and I decided to try out a recipe on him that I'd never tested before. It came from The Grit cookbook, and it's Sweet and Sour Tofu with Vegetables. The sweet and sour sauce was fun to make and quite easy, although it called for a lot of ingredients. It ended up being very tangy and not extremely sweet--which is a good thing for me. I don't like sickly-sweet sauces. It had just enough sweetness to it, in fact. The tofu and veggies were just stir-fried in a small bit of oil and tossed with soy sauce. I used green bell pepper, onion, mushrooms, and some frozen green peas. We mixed it all together and served it over brown rice. Delicious! Our guest enjoyed it too, and even got seconds. Hoorah!


Here's my last comment for tonight--I've been having absolutely monstrous headaches lately, and I've no idea why. I had one last night and I could barely walk or even move. They're definitely not migraines or anything like that, but just splitting headaches. Usually it hurts on the sides of my head near my temples, and sometimes I will feel my temples or other localized areas of my head just throb. It hurts to be in a lit room or out in the sun when they come on. I also feel some pressure in my face sometimes too. This is my only symptom--otherwise I'm perfectly healthy. Any ideas out there about what may be going on? I hate relying on pain medicine, but it does help for a while when they come on. I'm reluctant to go to the doctor until I give it a little while and try to find out if I can make them stop naturally. Thanks, friends! Take care and be safe!

11 comments:

KleoPatra said...

Laura, God bless you, sweet girl. I am sorry your head is hurting. I have heard that caffeine constricts the blood vessels and helps headaches, but even that would be a "drug," although not like acetominaphin (i know i spelled that wrong) or aspirin or ibuprofen. I really hope that the pain lessens. Have you been to the eye doctor lately? It might be time to have your eyes checked... Using the computer a lot also strains the head, eyes, neck, etc., so perhaps you have been spending more time (or in a position that is unnatural for your head) looking at the screen? Not sure if that sounded trite, but i do care and wanted just to give a few thoughts there...

FEEL BETTER!!

That bread looks excellent! And your meal looks fab; i like a little sweet 'n' sticky but not overpowering as well. Good show, Laura!

funwithyourfood said...

well those sound like migranes! Sensitivity to light is one of the symptoms. :(
I get them too, usually when I'm not drinking enough water and eating too much salty food. Perhaps it is as simple as that?

Teddy

Dr. Melissa West said...

Hi Laura

Maybe it is weather change/season change? I hope you are feeling better soon. I had a splitting migraine about 2 weeks ago - this after not having one for about 8 years. Strange. Just last night one of my yoga participants was complaining about migraines too.

Love the bread and the tofu dinner.

Hope you feel better soon.

Anonymous said...

The food looks YUMMY!!!!!

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well! If they persist though, I would definitely see a dr. In the meantime, try to make sure your hydrated, getting enough sleep and not... ahem... pregnant ;)

Nikk said...

Hmmm...I wonder if it could be an allergy to something (food, pets, plants, mold, etc) or if it might be a sinus infection?

I'm having the same thing, but I think I have a recurring sinus infection. It's getting TERRIBLE! I just end up taking the drugs though, because that's the only way I can bear it.

Eat Peace Please said...

That food looks great and I'm glad that came out well. I'm sorry to hear about your head and face aches, I get those when I don't drink enough water here in the desert. Are there certain times of the day it occurs? Or certain situations? Are you eating anything new that you may be reacting to? Hmmm... I hope whatever it is you can find out or at least feel better.

If you have access to acupuncture, I highly recommend that number 1. Plus, they can "prescribe" you TCM that is herbs and plants and such.

I also recommend you eat some ice cream. Works for me!

urban vegan said...

Food and bread look fab.

I also think it sounds like migraines to me. I occassionally get them, but I know my "triggers" [red wine and chocolate at the same time!] Try to keep track of what you eat each day.

I also get those kind of headaches when the weather changes. My headaches are more accurate at predicting weather than AccuWeather.

Don't Get Mad, Get Vegan! said...

gorgeous bread! and I had not heard of the Grit cookbook until you meantioned it, I'll have to try that out.

If you love nutr'l yeast you truly will love that cookbook. It's full of basics (and I'm totally serious about the broccoli soup recipe...such a simple pairing of flavors? that i'd never. have. dreamed up.)

best of luck figuring out the headache. I've dealt with migraines all my life up until I was diagnosed with HBP. I'm on medication for that as nothing else has helped (my whole maternal family has this problem), but I highly recommend acupuncture as epp did above. it has done wonders for me in the past.

thanks for stopping by and saying hi!

theONLYtania said...

Hey! You definitely should try seitan, I really like it. Alternately, I don't know how to do much with tofu, but I'm planning to try soon. What you made looks good. Oh also.. the oat bars are a must. Just really easy and good.

Haha and you're right, we saxes are totally rivals with the horns. :-)

As for your headaches, they sound like migraines :-/ but I don't know very much about that. I hope it subsides soon. See you around!

Candi said...

Oh, I was sorry to hear about your headaches, and I can relate. I have them from time to time, but mine are definitely pet allergy related. I agreed with the poster above who said to maybe get your eyes checked. If you have no known allergies, the eyes may be it!!

To relive them, I have tea (even though the caffeine is so low, is sometimes helps), I take baths too, and when I get them, I take a hot shower just before bed too. Food helps sometimes, so I will eat a light snack like some fruit or applesauce.

I know my allergy headaches are not what you get, so I hope you find out soon what causes them!

Dori said...

Sorry to hear about your headaches. I'm glad you enjoyed the bread. Yu loaves looks just as beautiful as mine. I use the sour dough starter instead of the poolish which adds to the flavor.

I've suffered from a few migraines. There's so many possible things that can cause them. I think for me it can be stress that triggers it or when my eyes get strained (I have eye issues and have worn glasses since the fourth grade).