Saturday, January 13, 2007

A plain-jane kind of day

It was not a very exciting day in the way of food. In fact, it was not a very exciting day in any sense. When I woke up this morning the sky was overcast, and it stayed that way until the sun went down, with occasional sunlight peeking through. The weather was still and warm, drastically unlike this week's true January chilliness. I didn't even get out of my pajamas today until about 3 PM, when Bob and I decided it was high time we went out for a walk. Talk about lazy!

From the moment that thoughts of breakfast entered my head, I started contemplating creative ways to use up the foods we had on hand. There was a portion of a can of pumpkin purée in the refrigerator, so I used it to make pumpkin pancakes:


I was so hungry when these were done that I did not even stop to take a decent picture! I made them the same way I did when I served them for an extra special brunch back in November, modifying Isa's recipe.

For lunch I knew I wanted to use up some of the millet that I made from my last post, because I made a boatload of millet. I steamed some edamame and put that on top of a scoop of reheated millet, then made a simple dressing with sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, red pepper flakes, and sesame seeds. I topped it with the dressing and a nice sprinkle of sea salt and tossed it all together.


Voilà! Edamame-millet salad. Very creative name, I know.

Bob left a couple of hours ago to practice with his band, The Debasers. Yes, he's the bassist and lead singer of a Pixies cover band. I'm not expecting him until around 10 tonight. I couldn't get in touch with any of my friends, so I'm trying to entertain myself here at home. I wasn't planning to make cupcakes today, because my planned cupcake-baking date with my friend fell through. But, what else did I have to do tonight? So, I made the Rum Raisin Cupcakes with Rum Glaze. I passed up the optional rum-flavored buttercream frosting--first, to make the cupcakes "healthier" (HAH!), and second, to let the flavor of the rum in the batter and in the glaze speak for itself, without trying to dress it up too much. What can I say? I'm a girl of simple tastes. Anyway, I don't have the cute piping and decorating tools that I would need to make these look extra fabulous. But my birthday is in a mere 35 days, so there is hope yet!


I haven't actually tried these yet. I'll wait until Bob gets home and coax him to share one with me. But the batter sure did taste delicious!

For supper, I was not very hungry (...after sampling the cupcake batter--*sheepish*) so I just made a small, plain, boring salad. Baby spinach leaves, sprouts, cucumbers, mushrooms, a sprinkle of hemp seeds, and a quick dressing made of olive oil, white wine vinegar, dijon mustard, pepper, and rosemary. That's all there is.


Now what? Well, I'm reading High Tide in Tucson by Barbara Kingsolver. It's a collection of very clever essays about nature, environmentalism, and treading lightly on the planet. One of my favorite quotations from her is, "Let me be a good animal today." I sometimes get so worked up about how I'm going to change the world--but really, it's just as simple as that.

16 comments:

Dr. Melissa West said...

laura, when I grow up I want to eat as healthy as you do. You totally inspire me with how well you eat.

Those rum raisin cupcakes look AMAZING!!!! Are they from Isa's book? I loved the glazed look. I think they suit the rum raisin.

Love the quote about being a good animal today... if everybody did that we would have peace on earth. I swear it.

Oh yeah, you've got me all excited about making pumpkin pancakes for breakfast tomorrow morning. I was just saying to my hubby tonight that I miss those days that we used to lounge in bed together all morning. With a five year old there is no time like that anymore. Treasure the lazy days cause once you have small children those days are a fleeting memory for a phase in your life. I'm jealous!

urban vegan said...

The pancakes piled high with vegan whipped cream look pretty darn exciting to me!

Carrie™ said...

Pancakes? Delicious looking salads? Cupcakes? Not interesting? BAH! Looks good to me! How did the cupcakes end up tasting? They look so yummy with the glaze shining on top. I doubt they really need the icing either.

Anonymous said...

Looking good here! I can't decide what my favorite is. I really like the idea of the edamame millet salad. I like simple foods also and this is perfect.

laura k said...

So, we tasted the cupcakes last night and they were definitely amazing. The rum flavor is very strong, so if you like rummy things (which we do), then this is a good cupcake for you to try! I am glad that I left off the buttercream frosting--it would have been too much. Simple pleasures...

Brooke said...

I like that quote! I was telling my older daughter today..."you know we are going to change the world together, right?", and she said "you bet, mom!".
:-)

Dori said...

I have to agree with the rest, nothing looks boring about this day. I love a good pajama day. I had a salad similar to your, only I put sliced apple and some broiled tofu triangles on top for lunch.

Anonymous said...

i love how you bake cupcakes to entertain yourself. I do that too.

aTxVegn said...

I think all the dishes look great and just plain delicious. I really like the millet and edamame, two of my fave things.

MeloMeals said...

That quote is exactly what I needed to hear! It is so simple. It is just so overwhleming sometimes..

Millet is so good, and I'll bet it was delicious with the edaname.. mmm. and your salad looks great too... sometimes, a salad is the best food ever.. and that reminds me, I need to soak my sprout seeds tonight..

The cupcakes look great as well.. I do not like frosting at all, so a simple glaze is much better, in my opinion..

funwithyourfood said...

a boring plain jane day does NOT involve cupcakes! That is a wonderful cooking day

teddy

bazu said...

Sometimes the simple things are the most attractive. I hope you liked the cupcakes- we made those a while back, and loved them, especially the flavor of the mace. Very old school and yummy.

Unknown said...

I must agree, sometimes its those simple meals that turn out the best. I had to chuckle, though. I find myself doing the same thing those last few days before grocery day. I end up using those things in the pantry and fridge I'd forgotten about. A Pixies cover band. Too cool! Yes, a fan...

Caty said...

Everything looks gorgeous! I especially love the pancakes and cupcakes- they look devine!

Nikk said...

Yum! That millet salad looks like something I made last night, except I used green garbanzos.

I *love* The Pixies! :) I'm so impressed.

Linda said...

i love this salad pic - you can really see the texture of every ingredient!