Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Who are we?



So there is this Behind The Apron round-up going on in the land of food bloggers, that was started at 28 Cooks and lasts through the month of January. Since today is the last day of January, I thought it would be a good time to post my entry!

I try to be pretty transparent as a blogger, because I think it's fun to get to know more about people than just what they eat. Most of you have seen my face before, but I'm not camera-shy. :) Here I am again (wearing SYNTHETIC boots!).


My name is Laura, and I was born on 17 February 1984--which means I'm pushing 23 years old. I grew up in Southeast Georgia, in a small town that was practically part of Savannah. I'm a masters of accountancy student at UGA now, in Northeast Georgia, and I am finishing my last semester of school EVER. This summer, I will be moving to Atlanta to start working at a public accounting firm where I was an intern last summer. My short-term goal is to become a CPA but my long-term aspirations do not lie in the business world necessarily. My husband and I want to live in Paris as missionaries to the artist population there one day, and I hope to be able to somehow use my business experience there to help earn our living--maybe have my own bakery??? That would be cool... The other thing I plan to do with my life is write. Specifically, I want to write as an observer of, and advocate for, the natural world. I write a lot of essays, but I also like to write poetry and fiction. I love nature and I love hiking and tennis and watching movies that make me cry. I love music, especially folk (Simon and Garfunkel, Bob Dylan, Ralph McTell) and classic rock (Led Zeppelin, Beatles) and live jazz. I speak a passable amount of French, and I love all languages and cultures and anything about the world that's new to me. I'm a shorty, only about 5'3", and I'm terribly near-sighted.


This is Bob. He was born on 3 June 1984 (so I'm older by about 3.5 months). He grew up here in Northeast Georgia. He has a BA in English, and now he is a ministry intern at the Wesley Foundation (the Methodist student ministry on campus here). When we move to Atlanta he is considering pursuing a master's degree in social work. He likes playing video games (he is playing "The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past" as we speak) and reading all kinds of literature, from classics to comic books. He loves music too, and is the bassist and lead singer of a Pixies cover band. Right now he's really into Pixies music, but he also really likes Cake and Dispatch and Béla Fleck and Pink Floyd. He likes movies that are off-beat, often dark. He's about 5'10" and on the thin side, and he has small feet.

We both enjoy cooking (and eating), so much of what you see on my blog was partially a product of Bob's efforts as well as mine. We got married on 23 July 2005, and have been happy ever since! Our wedding was at a state park on the Ogeechee River about 3 miles from the house I grew up in.


This picture was taken about three years ago, when we went on a mission trip to Paris. I sort of feel like this is where we belong... and I know we will be back.


I don't know what else to say about us, except we love God with all our hearts, and we really love being vegan and being health nuts! Hopefully this covers everything you ever wanted to know about the Jessers.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great story, its always interesting to learn more about the people behind their blogs! It so awesome that you guys went to paris on a mission trip, ive always wanted to go there!

VegTeen For Christ

Noel Green said...

Thank you for your wonderful blog! Most of all, We're refreshed by your faith and your willingness to share it.

God Bless - Celeste & Noel Green (fellow Christian vegans!)

Kati said...

Ooh you should totally open your own bakery some day. If there is one thing the world needs more of, it's vegan bakeries!

I loved reading your post - it's really fun to learn about my fellow bloggers. Thanks for sharing!

Cool boots and headband, too - very sixties! :)

bazu said...

Oh my gosh, I loved your "behind the apron"!! Those photos of you and Bob are classic, and the wedding photo is beautiful.

I loved hearing your story, and I hope you get to realize your dream to live in Paris one day. I know how it feels to be drawn to a place like that. My best friend moved to Paris 2 years ago, and she's had a hard, but exhilirating time.

Thank you for sharing!

urban vegan said...

What a nice profile, Laura. Thank you for sharing. And I have to say that you are absollutely adorable and I love your boots.

aTxVegn said...

What a great bio, Laura! You and Bob seem like the perfect complement to each other. I always enjoy reading about and seeing your healthy food. You are obviously full of life, and I hope you make it back to Paris someday.

Brooke said...

Heh heh...my husband just finished playing Zelda-Link to the Past!
Great Behind the Apron post! :-)

Anonymous said...

These behind the apron posts are really fun. I do enjoy getting to know people as much as (if not more than) seeing the wonderful food they cook! Nice to meet you. :)

Anonymous said...

great post, i love it!

Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

i'm totally late here, but wanted you to know that i enjoyed getting to know you & bob better behind the apron. super cute photo of you, laura.